Syd’s Survival Guide to Motivation

Welcome back to another survival guide!

Let’s talk about the thing that’s been affecting us a lot this semester: a lack of motivation.

I don’t know about you guys, but my motivation to do a lot of things has been at an all-time low recently.

There are a lot of contributing factors to this: COVID-19 and all of the tiresome policies that go into place, activities being suspended, spring break being canceled, and the overall point of where we are in the semester.

We’re just on the cusp of being done with this semester, yet there is still a whole month left.
So how do we tackle the problem of motivation? I’ve learned of a few helpful tricks that might help you spring into action.

These techniques will cover broader areas of your life, not just a singular category.

For Studying: The Pomodoro Technique

I’ve mentioned this one before, but it really is a great method.

1. Set a timer for 25 minutes and just study your heart out
2. After that time rest for 5-10 minutes
3. Repeat for however many cycles you need
4. Throw in longer rests for longer cycle periods

For Mental Health: 50% is sometimes better that 100%

Due to this whole pandemic thing that we’ve had for a over a year, mental health has been a major problem for more people and has reached a lot of awareness.

A rule of thumb to stick to when you have those bad mental health days is that sometimes doing half of what you need to do is better than doing none of it.

This can be applied to a lot of different situations and scenarios.

Can’t bring yourself to take a shower? At the very least throw on some deodorant and a new change of clothes. It’ll make you feel better than you think.

Have a million things on your to-do list and feel super anxious about it? Just complete the smallest task possible. It’s a win because it got done, and reward yourself accordingly.

Can’t find the motivation to do all your laundry? Pick one part: whites, darks, sheets– whatever works. Just get it in the washer and only focus on that one part instead of the massive pile that’s waiting. You don’t even have to fold it when it’s done. You’ve done what is needed.

For Exercise:

Can’t find the motivation to do a vigorous exercise routine? Grab a friend and go on a walk. Not only does it get you get moving, it also allows you time to breathe and decompress. Walks are a super easy way to get moving without tackling that big workout.

We are getting to that weather here where the afternoons are warm enough to walk and not freeze. Hit Sand Plum Trail or the Ol’ Fishing Hole for nice walking trails, or get adventurous and walk wherever you please.

I hope this helps with some of your motivation issues.

And as always go Dawgs and stay safe as we wrap this semester up.