Voters in favor of proposed city sales tax

Johannes Becht, News Editor

Weatherford residents on Tuesday, June 30, clearly approved the proposed city sales tax (1%), which replaces the old one.

Proposition No. 1 provides for 0.52% sales tax for city services such as a new 9-1-1 center, police station and Vietnam Wall Memorial, improvements to the city swimming pool, AG/rodeo arena, a new indoor soccer field and a new airport terminal. It passed with 62.8%.

Southwestern Oklahoma State University will financially benefit from Proposition No. 2, which was approved by 56.57% of the voters. It directs 0.28% of the sales tax into SWOSU’s funding of its rural healthcare education efforts and facilities for Nursing, Pharmacy, Allied Health and related programs.

Proposition No. 3 gained 61.55% approval among the voters. 0.15% of the sales tax revenues will go to the Weatherford Regional Hospital to replace, update, purchase and maintain medical equipment for diagnostic and treatment purposes.

Proposition No. 4‘s 0.05% of the city sales tax will go the Weatherford Public Schools, funding artificial turf for the football field and a new track. The remaining funds would be spent on a new HVAC system for the high school. 59.3% voted Yes.

Oklahoma citizens also voted in favor of the expansion of Medicaid. State Question 802 narrowly passed with 50.5%.

>>>Get in touch with the author

>>>Morning News Tonight