5 Study Tips For Surviving Finals Week

With finals week right around the corner, and dead days this week, many students across campus have a common thought in their minds: I need to study. This article is going to give you some tips and tricks on how to maximize study efforts and make it through finals.

1. Do not procrastinate

For college students, it is easy to get distracted and spend time doing other things besides what you need to do. An effective way to make sure you do not procrastinate studying is by eliminating distractions. For example, if you get easily distracted by studying in your room, try making a trip to the library. Another example would be putting your phone in do not disturb mode so you are not tempted to check it every time you get a notification. 

2. Be intentional with your study time

It is easy for students to say they are going to study, but not every student is intentional. Before you start studying, decide what you are going to study. It is always great to have a game plan before you open your textbooks and your notes. If possible, you should look over what your exam will cover. This way, you can know what you need to go over. 

3. Study with friends/classmates or study by yourself

Finding time to study with some classmates or friends can be a good way to help learn and remember information for your exams. However, not everyone feels that way. If you know that you are better at studying alone, then you should set aside time during your day to cover your materials. If you learn and remember better with others, try making a study group and set a common time that everyone can meet at.

4. Do not over study, give yourself some breaks

Although it is important to review your materials, be careful not to study too much. It is important to take some breaks, so you do not overload your mind with information. However, be wary of taking too long of a break. Set a timer of 15 to 30 minutes to give your brain and eyes some rest time. You could go for a walk, eat a snack, stretch, etc.

5. Get some sleep

While studying can consume hours of your day, it is crucial to not only rest your mind but your body as well. Make sure to get plenty of rest and relaxation during finals week so you can reduce your stress. More sleep can also help you be more refreshed and be more focused. Although many college students pull all-nighters to study, each student needs to get sleep so they can recharge. 

Other helpful information 

Some extra information that can be useful is knowing the school’s library hours. During finals week, the SWOSU library will be open on Sunday from 11 a.m. to 2 a.m., Monday through Wednesday from 7:30 a.m. to 2 a.m., Thursday from 7:30 a.m. to 12 a.m., and Friday from 7:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. 

You should also check the finals schedule to make sure you know what day and time your finals are. If you are taking classes online, make sure to check Canvas to see when your professor(s) have set the due date for your final(s). 

You are almost done with this semester. You got this!