The Student News Site of Southwestern Oklahoma State University

The Southwestern

The Southwestern

SWOSU Soccer has 1-1 week

Coy Pope

Bulldog Soccer took to the field twice last week and finished with one loss and one win. SWOSU took on the NWOSU Rangers Wednesday and the SNU Crimson Storm Saturday, battling both squads, beating the Rangers but falling short to the Crimson Storm

The Dawgs took on the Rangers at 3 p.m. Wednesday under the blazing sun and strong winds. After going down early, they never looked back. Philippine de Sancy found the back of the net twice, giving the Bulldogs the 2-1 lead at halftime. 

Coming out of halftime, it was more of the same for SWOSU. The Dawgs tacked on two more with a Hannah Guiterrez and Ruth Vasquez goal. SWOSU dominated the match throughout: winning 4 to 1, controlling possession and outshooting the Rangers 25 to 10. The win extended the dominance over NWOSU, pushing the unbeaten streak to 18 games. 

SWOSU took the field against SNU Saturday at 5 p.m. Similar to Wednesday’s matchup, this game featured heavy winds, but the north breeze kept the game cooler throughout. 

The Bulldog offense was clicking in the first half, shooting it a total of 12 times, but the Dawgs were unable to convert any of the shots into goals. Entering the second half in a 0-0 deadlock, neither team was able to find any success until a late goal put the Crimson Storm ahead, and sealed the 1-0 victory. 

The 1-1 week moves the Dawgs to a 2-8-3 record, but SWOSU is still very much alive in the postseason race as the squad has a 2-3-2 record in conference play. The record gives the Dawgs current possession of fourth place within the Great American Conference. With five GAC games left to play, SWOSU looks to stay in the top four of the standings to give them their ninth straight GAC playoff birth.

Come out and support the Bulldogs on Wednesday as they take on Harding University at 3 p.m.