Recent stories
The Student News Site of Southwestern Oklahoma State University

The Southwestern

The Southwestern

GAC Honors SWOSU Softball

GAC Awards two SWOSU Softball players in the same week, for the first time in the GAC
GAC Honors SWOSU Softball

The Great American Conference awarded SWOSU Softball players Chesnie Hewitt (Player) and Courtney Hill (Pitcher)  Player of the Week Honors. This is groundbreaking for both Southwestern and the Conference, due to this being the first time the GAC has awarded this to two players in the same week. 

Courtney Hill 

Courtney Hill is a senior business marketing major from Fort Gibson, OK. Hill started her love for softball at the shy age of five and started pitching when she was eight. Hill continued her love throughout high school and advanced to play in college. 

I started playing softball when I was 5 years old and started pitching when I was 8. I played for my high school team all four years of high school. I went on to start my college career at Rogers State University, where I played my first 3 years of college ball before transferring to SWOSU,” Hill said. 

After receiving this award, Hill says she feels honored and recognizes all the people who helped her get to this point. 

“I felt so honored to be receiving this award. I feel like this award was a testament to all of the hard work I have put in throughout my softball career and through this year. I give all the glory to God for receiving this award. I believe that without my faith and relationship with the Lord, none of this would be possible,” Hill said. “I also couldn’t have received this award without the help of my teammates and coaches. While I am pitching in a game, my teammates allow me to relax and do my job because I know that they have my back!”

The culture, friendships, and positivity are a few of the reasons why Hill loves SWOSU softball. Hill has created lifelong friendships and memories through SWOSU softball. 

“I wanted to play for SWOSU softball to create a culture for the program. Having the opportunity to be on a team that turns a program around was something that was really important to me. I wanted to enjoy playing the game again for my senior year, and SWOSU softball has made that possible,” Hill Said. 

“The thing I love most about SWOSU softball is how much fun we have together. We are always told that sports are supposed to be fun, I feel like this team knows how to have fun while also being serious and competitive. We always know how to make each other laugh and how to pick each other up when we are down. Even if games don’t go our way this team knows how to keep a positive mindset to win the next game. I have made some lifelong friends on this team that I will be forever grateful for!”

As Courtney finishes her time here at Southwestern she dedicates all her games to one of her biggest inspirations, her Papa. Hill described her papa as one of her biggest supporters who never missed a chance to watch her do what she loves. 

“My biggest inspiration in softball would have to be my Papa. He was always my biggest supporter before he passed away in 2016. Growing up, he never missed a game or an opportunity to catch me. With this being my final year of playing softball, I play every game for him!”

Chesnie Hewitt 

Chesnie Hewitt is from Nowata, Oklahoma just an hour north from Tulsa. Hewitt is a Junior elementary education major and plans on getting her master’s to become a reading specialist or a school counselor. Hewitt started her softball career at fours years old and remembers the special moment that sparked her interest in the sport. 

“I started playing softball when I was four years old. I remember the day I told my mom I wanted to play. It all started when we were driving by the softball fields in town, and I saw girls a bit older than me practicing and I was intrigued. Luckily my mom knew the coach and talked to her, and she let me play. So, I started playing coach pitch with girls that were a couple of years older than me.” 

Hewitt continues her softball journey throughout middle school and shares the challenges she faced that a lot of other athletes experience: burnout. Hewitt also shares how she overcame that burnout and found her love for softball again. 

“I played on numerous travel ball teams until my 6th grade year because at that point I was burnt out and didn’t even want to play the sport anymore, but my dad made me play and told me that it would get better once I got to high school. So, all through middle school my focus was to play college basketball and then when I got to high school, I fell in love with the sport again and my plans changed,” Hewitt said. I played middle and high school softball at Oklahoma Union Public School. After high school, I attended Murray State College in Tishomingo where I started as a freshman at second base and then as a sophomore I started as center field. Receiving this award is a huge honor and it means a lot especially because I was struggling the first few weeks of playing. It has given me a bit of my confidence back.” 

Hewitt played at Murray State College her first two years and decided to transfer with a few of her MSU teammates to SWOSU. Hewitt loves the relationships she has made with her SWOSU teammates. 

“I chose SWOSU because a couple of my teammates from Murray were talking about going, so as a group, we decided this is where we’d go, and we planned on turning the program around.” Hewitt continues, “What I love most about SWOSU softball is the relationships that I have built with my teammates.” 

Hewitt’s biggest inspiration is her dad. Hewitt’s dad is the reason why she is playing the sport today. Hewitt also thanks her family for always pushing her to become the athlete that she is and supporting her throughout this sport. 

“My softball inspiration is my dad. He is the reason that I even picked up a bat and glove. My dad was my coach in middle and high school, and he always held me accountable as well as pushed me to continue to work hard and be the best that I could be. I would like to thank my family for always pushing me and for always believing in me because if it wasn’t for them, I wouldn’t be where I am today.”