Recent stories
The Student News Site of Southwestern Oklahoma State University

The Southwestern

The Southwestern

On-Campus vs. Off-Campus Living

Junior Ella Barnett in front of her off-campus house

Southwestern had approximately 4,777 students enrolled for the Fall 2023 Semester out of that group 2 in 6 students chose to live off campus. What’s the difference between living on campus vs off campus?

Freshman Kirby Jones lives in the dormitory Mann South on the SWOSU campus, when asked about her experience she said “It is a really great place to live on campus, with really fun RA’s and really cool events.” Her living accommodations in Mann South include a shared bedroom, hall shared bathroom, and different lounge spaces. Kirby’s favorite part about living on campus is how convenient it is to walk to her classes. With living on campus she also has access to a meal plan that she can utilize in the cafeteria, grill, beanery, and Alma Mater Merc. Kirby choose on campus living because “dorm life is a great option for your first year of college, I enjoy the meal plan, nice facilities, sense of community, and it makes for a great transition into college life.”

Freshman Kirby Jones in her dorm room at Mann South.

Junior Abby Coyne has enjoyed off campus living for the past two years of her college experience. Although she lived on-campus for her freshman she now prefers off-campus for the privacy and freedom it offers. “I enjoy living off campus because it gives me a new experience of independence and I love being able to host people over at my house,” expressed Abby. From her residence Abby has a four-minute commute to campus, Abby believes that a small commute is worth the benefits of off-campus living.

Junior Abby Coyne in front of her off-campus house

Braylee Brown is a freshman at SWOSU and resides in Stewart Hall. Stewart Hall is a female-only dormitory with shared living and hall shared bathroom. “Yeah it’s not fun not having a kitchen, but that to me is the only main downside to dorm living. Since the campus is smaller I can just walk to all my classes and not have to worry about finding parking, which saves a lot of time. I also get along with my roommate really well which is another reason I enjoy living on campus.” explained Braylee. Although she choose on-campus living for her freshman year at SWOSU, Braylee plans to move off campus for her sophomore year. Just like majority of other students Braylee believes that living on-campus while you are still getting accommodated to the college life is beneficial and once you are accommodated then off-campus living is a convenient option.

Freshman Braylee Brown in her dorm room at Stewart Hall

Junior Ella Barnett has been living off campus her entire duration at SWOSU. Ella enjoys the benefits of having her own driveway to park in and being able to be in control of her own heat and air. “I enjoy living off campus because it gives me a break away from school. I don’t feel stuck to just that part of weatherford. My home feels more like a home to me than a temporary living arrangement and I feel like living off campus is a big part of that for me.” remarks Ella in regards to her living arrangement.

College living is a valuable time in life. For most students, it is their first taste of independence and freedom. Whether or not you choose to live on campus or off campus there will be benefits and downfalls in both situations. On campus offers community, comes fully furnished, and offers different events and activities. Off campus gives you privacy, choice in where you live, and overall more living space.