The Student News Site of Southwestern Oklahoma State University

The Southwestern

The Southwestern

Clean Your Room, Clean your Mind, Ace Your Finals! How Tidying Up Motivates Productivity!

As a college girl myself, I can confirm that when finals week approaches my living space is a disaster! Maintaining a clean environment while trying to stay on top of schoolwork can be difficult but studies have shown that studying in organized spaces can increase test scores and overall GPAs. 

Clean Room, Clean Mind  

During finals weeks it is vital that students receive good sleep and most importantly try to stay sane during this stressful time. Ferrell, 2013, claims that psychologists and design experts have noticed that an organized and clutter-free room allows students to think better, sleep better, and decreases stress. It is proven that clutter increases stress levels and causes distractions when trying to focus. So the real question is, how can students keep an organized space in the midst of chaos? 

Tips On Keeping An Organized Space 

• Start Small 

To not overwhelm yourself start small! Avoid cleaning everything at once and start off by picking up small portions in your room and gradually move to other spots. By doing this, you won’t feel so overwhelmed with cleaning but will still feel productive and clear some things out of the way. 

• The Season of Giving 

Let’s be honest, most of our clutter consists of things we don’t need. That’s why most clutter does not have a home in our spaces because it’s unnecessary. With finals week falling into the season of giving this is the perfect time to donate! While picking up your space in small portions determine what you need and what you can donate. Donating can save a lot of space and help others in need. 

• Routine 

Another tip for maintaining a clean room is to incorporate cleaning into your everyday routine. Start by making the bed when you first get up, sweep the bathroom floor every day after class, and pick up anything you see that is not in the right place. Spending a few minutes throughout the day to tidy up helps maintain a clean room.  

• Organize 

During finals week I find my things scattered all over the place which makes it easy for pencils, papers, pens, and other essential objects to get lost. Keeping organized not only keeps a tidy space but also holds everything in place. Many stores along with Walmart and Dollar Tree sell a variety of organization shelves, bins, and holders to keep all your supplies in the right place.