Student-led Dawg Fitness offers training & motivation

Wix / The Southwestern Archives

Equipment will consist of dumbbells, kettle balls, band, mats, etc. Also body weight exercises will be part of Dawg Fitness.

Johannes Becht, News Reporter

Dawg Fitness is a group fitness class consisting of a full body circuit training. The 45-minute workouts will take place from Feb. 11 until April 23, every Tuesday and Thursday at 9 a.m. and 1 p.m. on the basketball courts in the Wellness Center. Dawg Fitness is free of charge.

“The workouts are focused on building muscular strength and endurance and cardiovascular endurance,” explains Katy Townley, who teaches two sections of Weight and Circuit Training Application.

The 27 students of these classes planned and organized Dawg Fitness, and they also will conduct it under the overseeing of Katy Townley, who is a certified Group Exercise Instructor and teaches as an adjunct for Kinesiology. The students are all pursuing degrees in Exercise Science; thereby, they have the knowledge and the skills necessary to lead a fitness group.

Participation in Dawg Fitness is especially a good idea if a student wants to exercise but does not know what to do or how to do it. Another big advantage of group fitness is that students can push each other in order to achieve better results. And, of course, training together is a lot of fun.

Equipment will consist of dumbbells, kettle balls, band, mats, etc. Also body weight exercises will be integrated in the workout plan, which will be different each time. The main goal, says Katy Townley, is “to create a workout that meets all levels of fitness.”

>>>Johannes Becht’s Personal Website

>>>Morning News Tonight