Recent stories
The Student News Site of Southwestern Oklahoma State University

The Southwestern

The Southwestern

SWOSU Sports are in Full Swing

With a mix of winter and spring sports, now is an action packed time for SWOSU Sports
SWOSU+Athletics
SWOSU Athletics

Bulldog sports are at a very exciting time for students and fans. Winter sports are in the middle of conference play, and while it is still the midst of winter, several spring sports are getting underway. 

Women’s Basketball is coming off of a four-game home stretch in which they dropped the first game but won the following three. The three-game win streak has propelled the team to fifth in the Great American Conference. The Lady Bulldogs now turn to face a four-game away stretch. The team looks to stay within the top eight of the GAC standings to remain within the postseason tournament picture. The Lady Bulldogs won’t return to Weatherford until Feb. 22nd. Until then, you can watch them on live stream via the SWOSU athletics website

Men’s Basketball follows the same schedule as the women’s, as they also head east to Arkansas this week to kick off a four-game road stretch. The men won two of their last four, and currently hold the sixth spot in the GAC standings. The Bulldogs face two very important games, taking on Ouachita Baptist and Henderson State. Two very winnable conference games that would help raise the Dawgs’ conference position. The men’s team also returns to Weatherford on Feb. 22.

With the season officially starting last Friday, baseball is now underway at SWOSU. The guys took on Missouri Western in their first series of the year and split it an even 2 games apiece. Following the series, they had a single game against 23rd-ranked Missouri Southern and took care of business, winning 7-4. The Bulldogs are at home for the next eight contests and the next series begins this weekend. The Dawgs take on Adams State in a four-game series beginning Friday at one. 

Along with baseball, softball season started last weekend. The Lady Bulldogs began the year in the Hawkins-McGhee Memorial Tournament in Hot Springs Arkansas, and began the year winning two and losing two. The team is back in action this weekend in the Mustang Round-Up in Wichita Falls Texas, playing five games. The Lady Bulldogs will be back in Weatherford on Friday, Feb. 23

With several sports in action all at the same time now is a very exciting time for SWOSU athletics fans. Get out and support your Bulldogs sports teams!